Hingham Municipal Lighting Plant - Home        
Site Map
Customer Service FAQs
Billing & Payment Options
Start or Stop Service Forms
Service Request Form
Report a Street Light Outage

Q. How do I start service?
A. There are two ways to initiate service:

Complete the start service request form.
You or your agent can come into our office located at 31 Bare Cove Park Drive, Hingham, MA 02043 to fill out the application. The office is open Monday through Thursday, 7:30AM to 4:30PM and Fridays 7:30AM to 1:30PM. We require 24 hours notice to commence service.

Q. I am renting an apartment/house/condo, what is required.
A. You need to sign up for service, as described above. We also require a security deposit, which is equal to 3X the highest bill in the prior 12-month timeframe. You can call the office at (781) 749-0134 for the amount of your deposit. The deposit is kept until service is terminated and at that time the final bill will be deducted from the deposit and you will be billed/refunded for the remainder.

Q. I’m moving, how do I stop service.
A. Contact Customer Service at (781) 749-0134
You can complete a stop service request form.

Q. Do you offer discounted rates for senior citizens.
A. No, not at this time.

Q. What is a power cost adjustment and why is this charge imposed?
A. The power cost adjustment is a variable monthly adjustment to compensate for the monthly fluctuations in the cost of purchased power.

Q. Where can I pay my bill?
A. You have four different ways of paying your bill.
- You can mail your payment to HMLP, 31 Bare Cove Park Drive, Hingham, MA 02043
- You can come in and pay your bill at the light department office above.
- You can drop your payment in the drop box located in front of
the Hingham Town Hall at the End of the Semi Circle drive.
- You can set up a direct deposit payment through our website.

Q. Why does my HMLP bill fluctuate from month to month?
A. Everyone uses energy differently. Energy usage can depend on a number of things, including the size of your home, the number of occupants, and the quantity and size of the appliances. An additional factor might be the weather (extreme hot or cold) In order to determine your usage, check your bill for your monthly consumption of kWh which represents the quantity of energy that you are using.

Q. How often is my meter read and why is my bill sometimes estimated?
A. Every effort is made to obtain an actual meter reading every month upon which to base your bill. Occasionally, however, extenuating circumstances prevent us from reading your meter. Examples of these might be; inclement weather, an aggressive dog, locked gate or shrubbery obstructing the meter. When we are unable to obtain a reading, your bill will be based upon past usage.

Q. Why is my bill no longer perforated?
A. The Post Office has requested that we eliminate the perforations due to an incompatibility with their equipment.

Q. A tree limb is on or very near a power line. What do I do?
A. Call the office at (781) 749-0134. This number is available 24 hours a day. If it is an emergency situation, a service truck will be dispatched immediately. If it is not an emergency, we will put you on the list for tree trimming.

Q. Who do I call for emergencies after hours?
A. If you have an emergency, such as a power outage, please call 781-749-0134 for customer service. An answering service is available 24 hours a day to promptly forward your concerns to an HMLP associate for appropriate action.

Q. What should I do during a power outage?
A. If the power in your house goes out, make sure the problem is not due to a blown fuse or tripped circuit breaker in your home. One quick way to do this is to see if your neighbors have power. If not, call HMLP as soon as possible at 781-749-0134.

Q. What should I do if I have life support equipment?
A. If you or someone in your household relies on electrically operated life support, you should complete the Town of Hingham Special Needs form and return it to HMLP. We will place you on our emergency list for priority service restoration. Please remember that no utility can guarantee uninterrupted service 365 days a year. Therefore, we strongly recommend that you have a backup plan, which should include an alternative source of electric power. This might be a battery-operated backup system, an uninterruptible power supply or a generator.

Q. I am having trouble paying my bill. Is there anyway that HMLP can help?
A. HMLP has options for customers who are having trouble paying their energy bill. Our customer service department can work with you to set up a payment plan to make paying your bill more manageable.

Q. How can I lower my energy bill?
A. The best way to lower your bill is to use less energy. This can be accomplished by simply using more energy efficient appliances. Please visit our Energy Saving tips to get season energy tips, learn more about energy efficient appliances and products.

Helpful Resources:
    ©2004 Hingham Municipal Lighting Plant Get The Local Weather Forecast >    
  About Us | Rates & Billing | Start or Stop Service | Service Guide | Customer Service | Community Resources | News Contact | Careers | Site Map